7:01 AM History
His plan was to return once the persecution ended, but the sweetness of solitude and heavenly contemplation convinced him to stay. He went on to live in that cave for the next 90 years. A nearby spring gave him drink, a palm tree furnished him clothing and nourishment. After 21 years of solitude a bird began bringing him half of a loaf of bread each day.
Without knowing what was happening in the world, Paul prayed that the world would become a better place. St. Anthony of Egypt [January 17] attests to his holy life and death. Tempted by the thought that no one had served God in the wilderness longer than he, Anthony was led by God to find Paul and acknowledge him as a man more perfect than himself.
The raven that day brought a whole loaf of bread instead of the usual half. As Paul predicted, Anthony would return to bury his new friend. Thought to have been about 112 when he died, Paul is known as the "First Hermit." His feast day is celebrated in the East; he is also commemorated in the Coptic and Armenian rites of the Mass.
1:40 AM San Pablo City
- San Pablo was formerly called Sampaloc and San Pablo de los Montes
- It was founded by Fr. Hernando Cabrera in 1678.
- San Pablo was annexed to Batangas in 1756 by Gov. de Aranda
- It was returned to Laguna in 1848.
- San Pablo was declared a city on May 7, 1940 by virtue of Commonwealth Act No. 520.
- San Pablo City is situated on a plateau 485 ft. above sea level on the lower slopes of Mt. Marayap
- The Cathedral of St. Paul the Hermit was first built with light materials by Fr. Mateo Mendoza in 1586. The second church, made of brick and stone, was built in 1629 by Father Hernando Cabrera. The present building was built in 1714 by Fr. Francisco Eloriaga on a foundation laid down by Fr. Juan Labao in 1680.
- The Franklin Baker Dessicated Coconut Factory is the world's largest.
- Lake Pandin and Lake Yambo are called twin lakes because they are about the same size and share a common ridge on one side
- Villa Escudero, located 10 kms. south of San Pablo City, is an 800-hectare coconut plantation purchased by Placido Escudero and wife Claudia Marasigan in the late 18th century.
- The AERA Memorial Museum, at Villa Escudero, houses the collections (began on June 29, 1923) of Arsenio and Rosario (nee Adap) Escudero and run by the AERA (acronym of the founders’ names) Memorial Foundation. It is housed in an exact replica of the beautiful San Francisco Church in Intramuros (destroyed during the liberation of Manila and now occupied by Mapua Institute of Technology).